Page 1 of 4
Rules & Regulations
as of February 2, 2023
- I. GENERAL
Battle Acts is committed to providing a safe, supportive, nurturing opportunity for actors of all ages and experience to learn and grow in their craft. Each competition will provide opportunities to meet with and learn from industry professionals, and to have fun doing so. Everyone is welcome to participate, no matter your experience or talent level. By entering a Battle Acts live event, either as a participant or observer, you hereby agree to the terms and conditions contained hereunder.
- II. ENTRY INFORMATION a. COMPETITION ACCESS i. To compete in The Championship Set is by invitation only.
- ii. To compete in The Audience Set is by pre-registration only and requires the purchase of a ticket to the Battle Acts live event.
- iii. Observers must purchase a ticket to the Battle Acts live event. Tickets are available in advance and at the door, on a first-come, first-served basis and are subject to availability.
- b. ENTRY DETAILS i. Entry to a Battle Acts live event requires the purchase of a ticket in advance or at the door the night of the event.
- ii. All attendees and Audience Set entries will be accepted on first-come, first-served basis, by pre-registering online.
- iii. Battle Acts reserves the right to limit the number of tickets for sale to the public for any event and limit the number of Audience Set entries in its sole discretion.
- iv. You must be 21 years of age or older to attend a Battle Acts live event, unless accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
Purchase is required to observe and/or enter the competition. There are three ways to join Battle Acts: Page 2 of 4
- III. COMPETITION DETAILS a. CATEGORIES
- b. CHALLENGES/THEMES Challenges based on thematic content may be added at the sole discretion of Battle Acts.
- c. FREQUENCY Competitions will be held once per month for the remainder of 2023, subject to a minimum number of entries. One winner per month of The Championship Set will be invited to compete in The National Championship, tentatively scheduled for December 2023. Competitions will occur between the hours of 6pm and 10pm EST on the last or second-to-last Monday of each month. Exact schedule to be determined by the number of entries and subject to change without notice.
- d. SCORING Scoring will be judged based on several factors and are subject to change. Sample criteria may include: i. Emotional Content/Connection (emotional range, character connection)
- ii. Professional/Technical (stage presence, diction, projection)
- iii. Overall Effect/Engagement (effect on audience, command of role)
- e. AWARDS Awards will be given to the top performer in each competition, subject to a minimum number of entries to be determined.
- f. JUDGES Judges are subject to change without notice and will always consist of no less than four (4) industry professionals in varying fields, including but not limited to directors, casting directors, talent agents, producers, and working professional performers.
- g. RESULTS Results for The Championship Set are tabulated using judge scorecards. Results for The Audience Set are determined by audience applause. All results are final and not subject to challenge.
The Championship Set: 2 ½ minute (150 seconds) time limit from any source including theatre, film, TV, or original.
The Audience Set: 30 second time limit from any source including theatre, film, TV, or original. Page 3 of 4
- IV. MISCELLANEOUS RULES AND REGULATIONS a. All rules and regulations of Battle Acts are subject to change without notice.
- b. Good Sportsmanship, respect, and professionalism are expected from everyone who attends any Battle Acts live event, including performers, coaches, judges, friends, family, and audience members. Those not complying with this rule will be disqualified and/or subject to removal from the event.
- c. As with any physical activity, unforeseen accidents and or injuries can occur. Upon entering any Battle Acts live event, it is agreed that all participants, parents, audiences, and/or guests will hold Battle Acts, its staff, judges, owners, partners, affiliates, and its host facility harmless from any accident, injury and or loss of property during any and all events.
- d. All performers, family, guests and audience members consent to the use of their photograph, video and/or audio likeness for use in future promotions and or advertisements of Battle Acts in perpetuity without compensation therefor.
- e. COVID protocols at each Battle Acts live event are subject to the then-current guidelines as set forth by the CDC, Chelsea Music Hall, the City and State of New York, or other local or federal mandates. Each participant agrees to abide by the COVID protocols as set forth by Battle Acts and Chelsea Music Hall and understands that these protocols are subject to change without notice.
- f. Performers are required to check-in with stage management at the Battle Acts live event no less than 15 minutes prior to scheduled competition start time.
- g. The use of prop weapons is strictly prohibited. Smoking is prohibited in all areas of Chelsea Music Hall, including the stage.
- h. Out of respect to our performers and audiences alike, observers are expected to remain quiet and respectful while a performer is performing.
- i. All electronic devices, including but not limited to cell phones, must be silenced during the competition. Flash photography is strictly prohibited.
- j. All scores and comments reflect the opinion of the Judges and not necessarily the opinion of Battle Acts, its directors or staff. All Judges’ decisions are final without dispute.
- k. Some monologues may contain adult language and situations. While Battle Acts reserves the right to refuse any questionable monologue choice, we nonetheless wish to promote freedom of speech/expression. Therefore, viewer discretion is advised.
Page 4 of 4
- l. All participants and observers of any Battle Acts convention, conference, competition, class, workshop, performance or other event hereby consent to be photographed, filmed and/or otherwise recorded and that any such recording of your appearance, voice, and name may be used by Battle Acts and its affiliates in any and all media throughout the universe in perpetuity, for any purpose whatsoever.
- V. FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q. How do I apply for a spot in an upcoming competition?
A. You can register online to compete in The Audience Set. Winners of The Audience Set are invited to compete in The Championship Set the following month.
Q. Should I wear a costume and/or use props?
A. Feel free to express yourself! Auditions in real life rarely entail getting dressed in character or the use of props, but feel free to dress as you like.
Q. What if I miss my scheduled competition timeslot?
A. If you miss your scheduled competition timeslot, you have forfeited your right to compete. However, if time permits at the end of all other performances, we may allow you to perform at that time, at Battle Acts’ sole discretion.